4475 DuPont Court – Suite 4,
Ventura, CA 93003

What is a CDL License?

A commercial Driver’s License (CDL) shows future employers that you are a certified, competent and professional truck trucker. Certain commercial motor vehicles require specialized skills and knowledge. Prior to implementation of the national Commercial Driver’s License Program, anyone with a license to drive a car could also legally drive a tractor-trailer or a bus in many states. The Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 was signed into law on October 27, 1986. The goal of the Act is to improve highway safety by ensuring that drivers of large trucks and buses are qualified to operate the vehicles and to remove unsafe and unqualified drivers from the highways.

The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) has developed and issued standards for testing and licensing commercial motor vehicle drivers. Among other things, the standards require states to issue a Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) to a motor vehicle driver only after the driver passes knowledge and skills tests administered by the state (DMV in California) related to the type of vehicle to be operated. Drivers need a CDL license if they are in interstate, intrastate or foreign commerce.

The type of CDL license is dependent on the type work you are looking to pursue. Maatson Trucking School courses are geared towards Class A and Class B CDL’s which are required for Professional Truck Drivers.

According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration , the Federal standard requires states to issue a CDL (Commercial Driver’s License) to drivers according to the following license classifications:

class A

Class A CDL Training

Any combination of vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds. Some careers that require a Class A CDL are:

  • Interstate Tractor Trailer Driver
  • Intrastate Tractor Trailer Driver
class b

Class B CDL Training

Any single vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,001 or more pounds or any vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR. Some careers that require a Class B CDL License include:

  • Hauling specialty cargo
  • Auto-transport drivers
  • Furniture delivery
  • Dispatcher
  • Self-employed truck driver
  • Local driver
  • Store delivery driver
  • Cement and concrete production
  • Courier
  • Bus driver

States are able to issue a CDL license only after a written and driving test have been given by the state or approved testing facility.

It’s important to train for your CDL exam for two reasons:
  • The test itself can be extremely difficult to pass without the proper training.
  • Many carriers won’t hire a candidate without proper training, even if you’ve passed the CDL exam.

Ready to get the CDL training you need? Contact Maatson Trucking School at (805) 658-1111 or send an email to info@maatsontruckingschool.com.

For Any Questions?

Call Us : (805) 658-1111


Email us : info@maatsontruckingschool.com.